Sunday, February 12, 2012

You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks!

  I'm taking a class online.  It's not the first online class I've taken, but it's the first one that's forcing me to explore all the internet resources available to teachers.  I've come to the conclusion that a teacher who is super savvy with technology and the internet wouldn't have to be all that smart in other areas.  Today I found a resource that builds scoring rubrics for you.  There are literally thousands to choose from (or should I say from which to choose?!)  You start with a pre-created rubric, and you can tweak it all you want or not at all.  Then as you look at the students' assignments, you just click on the rubric and it actually grades the paper for you!  I'm thinking about the hundreds of hours I spent during my career creating effective rubrics and then painstakingly matching my students' writing to the rubric, when now all you have to do is click!!  Is this a good thing or a bad thing?  I think it's a great thing, but once again I'm reminded that all my best skills are obsolete.

No comments:

Post a Comment