Friday, February 3, 2012






A funny thing happened on my way to the grown-up world of being a teacher.  This was during my very first year as a new teacher.  And when I say "new" I mean four years out of high school.  I had heard the phrase "jacking off."  Maybe from my brother, I'm not sure.  I thought it meant "goofing around."  So when two 8th grade boys were booted out of the library one day and sent back to my study hall, I looked at them, hands on my hips, and said, "So! I heard you were jacking off in the library."  The two of them looked like I had just accused them of being serial killers.  Little did I know that my accusation was much worse than that!  One of them blurted,  "NO WAY, Miss G!!  Never in the library!"    The school community got a lot of mileage out of that one.  It was many months before any of my colleagues could look at me without busting out laughing.  The other 8th grade English teacher was relentless. I encountered him in the library one day and he shouted across the room,  "I'm just reading a book. Don't get any ideas!"  I shouldn't admit to being so stupid, but while some may call it stupid, I'll call it innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment