Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I Can't Seem to Do Nothing Right

I'm a little irritated by the fact that, so far in my retirement, which started less than two months ago, my inner dysfunction keeps nagging me to "do something," when, truth be told, what I really want to do is nothing.  I don't mean I want to do nothing ALL the time, but, for example, on a day like today, when what you see in the photo is what I see from my front porch, nothing seems like a perfectly fine thing to want to do. But here's how "nothing" is working for me:  After about 45 seconds of enjoying the view, I thought, gee, I wanted to get that watch cleaned...this would be a good time to take care of that. So I went upstairs in search of the watch in question and ended up spending three hours cleaning the bathroom. I scrubbed the shower tile, polished the faucets, sorted all the soaps from the shampoos from the body lotions and put them in their proper bins, scrubbed the floor, even took the window locker thing off to clean and shine it. I cleaned every square inch of every nook and cranny.  I didn't find the watch, but by the time I finished cleaning, I forgot what I had gone up there for in the first place, so it didn't matter.  What DID matter was that while attacking the bathroom, I noticed that the light bulbs were mismatched, one being of the curly variety and the others not. It's just under two miles to the store. I should have walked. That would've been a good "nothing" thing to do, but I was hell-bent on getting those light bulbs to match, so I got in the car. After changing the bulbs, there was the matter of where to put the ones I didn't use. In my working days, I would have just stuck them in a drawer (that's not entirely true, because in my working days, I wouldn't have changed them in the first place), but since I had nothing better to do, I thought it would be a good idea to start an actual place to store light bulbs, so I gathered up all the stray light bulbs I could find and put them in a nice, clean bin in the basement (Don't get the wrong idea...it wasn't nice and clean when I found it. Cleaning it was another 15 minutes), which I labeled "Light Bulbs" after a 30 minute hunt for a marker. Needing something to drink after all that, I opened the fridge and saw those pork chops sitting there begging to be dinner. I suck at cooking, but now that I'm home doing nothing all day, I have no excuse anymore to continue to suck at cooking. So I found a recipe that looked like something I could handle and got busy in the kitchen.  Don't get me started on the kitchen. I know it needs a good cleaning as well. But right now I have five minutes of nothing I want to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment