Sunday, April 26, 2015

Words, Words, Words

I used to teach Hamlet to my AP English classes. I liked to consider myself a wizard of words and emphasized to my students how inadequate popular American lingo is.

I guess when you live long enough, everything is a cliche. Even saying that is a cliche! But since it's been bugging me, here are some words and phrases that I am SICK of hearing:

Starting a sentence with, "SO...." or "Look...."

VENUE.  Nothing happens at  place or a location anymore.  It's always at a venue.

Wrapping one's brain or head around an idea.  The first time I heard that one, I thought it was sort of clever, but hearing it several times a day is just stupid, especially when someone gets it wrong and says they can't wrap their arms around it.

SURREAL seems to be the only word people can think of these days to describe something unusual, fantastic, unbelievable, awesome, dreamlike, or weird.

People saying they are "blessed" when something good happens.  Blessings come from God.  If your house survived a tornado, but your neighbor's house did not, why would you think you were "blessed" and your neighbor was not?  You were lucky, or maybe your house was better built, but thinking you were "blessed" is the height of arrogance.

IMPACTFUL.  This makes me cringe!  I noticed about 5 or 6 years ago that people were using the word "impact" as a verb, as in "The snow will impact the whole city."   Over time, it has actually become a verb.  I can live with that, but "The storm had many impacts on people," "The storm impacted many people," or "The storm was extremely impactful?"......Unacceptable!

ON THE GROUND.  It was probably CNN that started "boots on the ground" to signify soldiers in combat, but now everyone says it for everything, like the local weather guy saying, "I'm here on the ground in upper Michigan where it is snowing heavily." I guess it's better to be on the ground than up in the air, especially when it's snowing.

The other night Handy asked me, "which is correct, disburse or disperse?" What I saw in my head was "Disburse" (as in the disbursement of funds) and "Dis purse" (as in this handbag)...and you'd only get that if you live in "da U.P." So I said, "Dis purse isn't even a word." Imagine my chagrin as he checked the dictionary to prove me wrong. I'm hardly ever wrong about words, but, like Hamlet, some of them drive me nuts.




1 comment:

  1. Kass, I just read your blog entries. You're a stitch! Oops, does that get you mad when people use the word "stitch" to describe a humorous person?

    ReplyDelete