Monday, April 16, 2012

STEP AWAY FROM THE JUNK FOOD!!!

Sometimes it's hard to work healthy meals into my busy day. I usually eat my lunch at my desk or standing around in the student cafeteria....or not at all.  By 3:00 p.m. I realize that I'm REALLY hungry and am inclined to grab something quick and easy.  That's why I love South Beach Snack Mix, and here it is with my own twist:

Here's how to make it:  Stir together:
3 cups of regular Cheerios
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese (the real stuff, not the canned)
1 cup of sliced natural almonds
1/2 cup of unsalted peanuts
1 cup of twisty pretzels
Sprinkle seasoned salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste

Drizzle 4 Tbsp. of olive oil over the mixture and keep stirring to get it all coated. 

Bake on a large rimmed baking sheet in 350 degree oven for five minutes, stir, bake another five minutes, stir again, and another five minutes should do it.  You have to stir often or it will burn and the cheese will be in clumps.  After baking, stir in 1 cup of soy nuts.

Amounts are approximate.  Be creative!  I use lots of cayenne pepper because I like it spicy.This stuff is WAY better and healthier than Chex Mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment